Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Surfs Up: How Serious Is Your Job Search?

"Hello! ... How are you? It's me, Skip"

"Hi, Skip, What's happening?"
"Well, I'm back to looking for a job and I need your help. When can I come in to see you?"
"How about Wednesday at 10:30?"
"Can't we meet earlier? I'm really motivated and please could I come in earlier so we could get the ball rolling?"
"Okay, sure. Does 8:30 work for you?"
"Oh, that's great. Perfect."
"See you then."

Skip showed up right on time. Actually a little early. We discussed what he had done for the past year and how it would reflect on his resume since he had only stayed with his last position for 8-9 months and wasn't currently working. Since his prior track record was pretty solid and he had been with one company for over fifteen years, I didn't think this would be too much to overcome. Plus, he had a lot of charm and charisma and regardless of what kind of position he was seeking; charm and charisma almost always come in handy.
We had his resume revamped and up-to-date in a couple of days. He picked it up the minute it was ready. And asked for several copies as he was planning on immediately circulating them among his contacts and faxing them to some people who he felt would be helpful in his new search.
The only thing he didn't have in place was how to email the resume in response to the ads (both online and in the newspaper) that required an email version of the resume. I asked him if any members of his family knew how to help him with that, and if not, I would set it up for him so that he could respond in a timely manner.
One caveat: if the ad asks for a cover letter, send one. If the ad asks for a fax or an email, you have a choice. If the ad requires you to just show up, don't email or fax the resume. And if they ask for an email, that is what they should receive. This is the first part of the elimination process. Aside from wanting the resumes to arrive the same way for convenience to them, they can also use this exercise to see whether or not you know how to follow instructions.
He is the type of client who really appreciates the coaching aspect of career services and wants to be kept on track. (At least that's what he says - and pays for!) Where has he applied, who he has contacted specifically and what was the result of their conversation. He's held accountable for his time. Was he supposed to follow up and what was the status of the follow up?
After he had his resume in circulation for 4 days, I checked in. "How's it going?" I asked. "Oh, I haven't figured out how to email my resume yet and I'm waiting until Monday to get serious." he replied. I asked him what was so magical about Monday, especially when he was in such a hurry. He just wasn't ready. He made an appointment with me to learn how to email his resume and figured then he wouldn't be so intimidated or have an excuse as to why he hadn't responded to more advertisements.
He was enthusiastic and ready to go. We practiced and sent out several resumes on the spot. I followed up later in the week to see if he was applying on his own, or if he needed a little more of a push. He repeatedly told me that he was serious and motivated. But his actions showed otherwise. When I called, I asked him where he was. He said, oh, I'm at the beach. Unless he was looking for a job as a lifeguard, I wasn't too convinced that the beach was where he would find employment. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Which only goes to show, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him get a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment